As part of the Sound of Belfast 2019 programme, Translink is hosting a brand-new music competition to discover some of the finest emerging talent in the country and connect them to the heart of the music industry.
Five short-listed acts will perform at a live event outside the gates of Belfast’s iconic City Hall in a bid to be crowned the overall winner following a public vote.
The winner will receive a £1,000 cash prize, a recording session, industry mentoring, radio airtime from the Official Media Partner of Metro Sessions, Q Radio, and the chance to play an outdoor showcase gig at Belfast City Hall, as part of the 2019 Sound of Belfast Festival.
The submission deadline for Metro Sessions has now passed; the following is for information only.
The Competition and how to apply
1) Acts / musicians must submit a video of at least one song (live performance or music video) via the link below. This video may be uploaded directly or a link to YouTube, Vimeo or a similar service may be provided. This song may be either a cover version or original composition.
2) After the closing date of Thursday 17th October (5pm), all submissions will be viewed by a panel of industry professionals who will compile a shortlist of 5 finalists.
3) All finalists will be given the opportunity to work with professional film-makers to create social media videos to promote themselves and their involvement in the competition. These films will be shared across Translink’s social media channels and also by Oh Yeah Music Centre. Please note each Finalist must make themselves available for filming sessions on Wednesday 23rd October at Vault Studios (Belfast) - for a short social media profile video.
4) All finalists will be invited to perform at a live music event outside the gates of Belfast’s iconic City Hall on Saturday 2nd November (2pm to 5pm) to kick off a 48-hour public voting period to select a winner.
5) Following a public vote, an overall winner will be announced and will receive a £1000 cash prize plus a recording studio package and music industry mentoring sessions.
Terms & Conditions
Thank you for your interest in Metro Sessions 2019 competition organised by Translink (‘the organisers’).
By entering the competition, entrants hereby agree to be bound by these rules as amended from time to time, and by any competition instructions.
Please note the following important information and terms and conditions:
1) The competition is open only to musicians and performers with a connection to Belfast who have not signed a contract to a record company, or any current contract with any third-party record label (or similar). This restriction would not include self-released material. Self-released means recordings entirely financed by the musicians or performers with no financial assistance from any commercial organisation or relationship or an agreement with a record label or other investor but always excepting any distribution deal you might have entered into (including iTunes and/or a digital aggregator). In the event of any query or disagreement on what constitutes a valid entry, the organiser’s decision is final. You may only enter once under one name (either as a solo artiste or as part of a group). Multiple entries will be disqualified (in our sole discretion).
2) The competition is only open to residents of Northern Ireland.
3) Entries will be accepted online only from 9am (09.00) on the 27th September 2019 until 5pm (17.00) GMT on the 17th October 2019 at soundofbelfast.com/metrosessions.
4) You will need to upload a video of at least one song (live performance or music video) using the portal provided at soundofbelfast.com/metrosessions. Alternatively, you may provide a direct link to a video on YouTube, Vimeo or similar service via the same portal.
5) The song may be an original composition or cover version of a song by another artist. In the case of a cover version, you should clearly acknowledge the original composer in your video and submission entry.
6) As part of their entry, applicants will be expected to demonstrate a clear link to the City of Belfast. The responsibility to clearly demonstrate this link rests with the applicant and fulfilment of this criteria is essential to the application process.
7) The competition is free to enter.
8) By entering the competition you agree:
· That any material submitted and any consequent live performance at the Live Event may be broadcast or streamed on the radio/television/internet without further consultation and used for marketing purposes by Translink in relation to the Metro Sessions campaign.
· You will be available for filming as detailed in point 10 below.
· You will be available to perform at the Live Event as detailed in 11 below.
9) A judging panel of music industry professionals and a representative from Translink will shortlist 5 successful acts who will then be invited to film social media profiles and perform at a live outdoor music event as detailed in point 11.
10) Social media filming:
This applies to all Finalists:
· Each Finalist must make themselves available for filming sessions on Wednesday 23rd October at Vault Studios (Belfast) - for a short social media profile video.
· Each Finalist must agree that any material recording at the filming sessions may be broadcast or streamed on the radio/television/internet without further consultation in relation to the Metro Sessions campaign
· Each Finalist will be encouraged to share any produced social media profile videos across all available social and digital media channels available to them.
11) The Live Event:
This applies to all Finalists:
· The Live Outdoor Event will be held at Belfast City Hall on Saturday 2nd November 2019.
· Each Finalist must work closely with the Stage Manager, meet all Health and Safety requirements, and must provide safe working equipment.
· Each Finalist must be able to perform for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes.
· Each Finalist will be encouraged to promote the Live Event across all available social and digital media channels available to them.
· All Finalists need to be aware that the finals may be recorded in both audio and audio-visual formats. Finalists must agree that the organisers can use the recordings, in association with the Metro Sessions campaign, in all media including but not limited to television, radio and the internet without further reference to or payment to them (subject to payment of any appropriate performance royalties paid by the PRS to its member songwriters).
12) The Winner:
· One Winner will be chosen by a 48-hour public vote.
· The Winner will be awarded £1,000 alongside a recording studio experience and mentoring sessions with music industry professionals.
· Prize money must be used to further winner’s musical career.
· If joint winners are chosen then the organisers will extend the voting period by an additional 24 hours.
· Must agree that all prizes are entirely non-transferable and cannot be exchanged.
· Must agree to the normal requirements placed on performers on the main stages, namely:
· To perform at the time notified to them (for the agreed length of time);
· Agree to any filming or recording as required;
· Work with the Stage Manager and meet all Health and Safety requirements;
· Provide safe working equipment
· Provide one colour press photograph, and one biography (one side A4), both pre-cleared for all media uses.
· Must agree to take part in promotional / PR activity – upon receiving the award and at further reasonable opportunities/occasions.
· Must agree to acknowledge the ‘Metro Sessions 2019’ award during any media opportunities – paying credit to Translink Metro where and when possible.
The organisers reserve the right to revise and amend these terms and conditions at their discretion without notice.
It is the responsibility of entrants to keep themselves informed as to any updates of these rules, and they acknowledge that any failure to comply with these rules could lead to their disqualification without reasons being given or opportunity for challenge.